Recipe from Natalia Hawthorne:
I have a "reverse-engineered" recipe for a smoothie we had at a vegan restaurant in Fort Worth that I liked a lot. It was called "Martha the Librarian smoothie" or something like that. Originally it was, indeed, concocted by someone named Martha, who was a librarian, and she shared the recipe with the vegan guys who ran that restaurant. She said she enjoyed sipping her smoothie while reading a good book.
Anyway, here's Nat's version of "Martha the Librarian":
(The basic ingredients and proportions may vary according to your own taste. This makes 1 tall smoothie glass):
Martha the Librarian smoothie
- 3-4 strawberries
- 1 whole banana (or half a banana)
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter (smooth)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (the bitter organic type, NOT the sugary mix)
- 1 cup soy milk (I use "Silk") (use more for a lighter and "thinner" drink).
I think in the restaurant version it was tofutti ice-cream, and that made it more of a dessert type smoothie. My home version is lighter and can be used as a quick yet nutritious and tasty substitute for breakfast or supper.
If you'd like to, you may add:
- a dash of whatever smoothie fruit syrup you might have waiting in the fridge just for an occasion like this one... (I know CostCo sells that stuff and it comes in different berry flavors according to the season. (It can be easily skipped though with no damage to the outcome)
- ice (I skip the ice! )
Blend everything in a blender until smooth.
There you have it! "Martha the Librarian" - a perfectly vegan, delicious, nutritious smoothie! You've got your fruit and fiber, vitamin C (strawberries), potassium (banana), protein (soy), nuts and oils (peanut butter), antioxidant (cocoa).
Try it - it's really good!! :-)