Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
5 cups vegetable broth or water
1 cup dried red lentils
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped potatoes
8 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
Prep Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
1. Add the first 5 ingredients to a large pot; cover and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the lentils and veggies are tender.
3. Take pot from stove burner and set aside.
4. In a small saucepan, add the oil; warm over low heat until the oil is hot but not smoking.
5. Add in the cumin, turmeric, and salt; cook and stir constantly for for 2-3 minutes or until the cumin has released its fragrance (be careful not to scorch the spices).
6. Set spice mixture aside for 1 minute to cool.
7. Stir spice mixture into the lentil mixture; add cilantro, stir to combine.
8. You can puree the soup, in batches, in a blender OR you can use an immersion blender and blend to desired texture (I like to leave it a little chunky).
9. Add in lemon juice; stir to combine.
10. Rewarm soup in soup pot; season if needed with salt/pepper.