Friday, February 5, 2010

Yuliya's Fish Pie

From Yuliya, the fish pie she made for our Nativity feast.

Dough:
3 sticks of butter (unsalted)
3 cups of flour
Salt
Water
Please note that above are the measurements for the long rectangular dish I used yesterday (ed: about 13x9, I think?). I actually think that I should have used 3 ½ or 3 ¼ cups of flour because I was a little short. Hence please size up the dish you will use.

Mix and divide into two parts, one of which should be smaller – it will go on top.

Fish:
Use red and white kind, any, whatever you like. I used salmon and cod I believe.
Cut fish in medium size pieces.
Marinate for a couple of hours. I used olive oil, pepper flakes, paprika, dry dill, dry sage, sherry (a type of sweet cooking wine, you can find it in Target or Walmart). If you don’t have sherry, use some vinegar or wine but not lemon, because of heavy cream in the filling (see below).
Make sure to squeeze all liquid before you transfer fish to the pie

Filling
Eggs (4)
Heavy cream (more or less 1 ½ cup)
Medium size onion, chopped into small cubes
Something green: use spinach or collard or green onions (if you don’t like the white kind). I used frozen collard yesterday.

Cooking
Bake for 1 hour, 375 F.

Enjoy!

1 comment: